This Thursday is St. Patrick’s Day and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with a green appletini. I used to celebrate with McDonald’s Shamrock Shake until I found out how many calories they contain. I can tell you the little leprechaun isn’t drinking Shamrock Shakes or else he has an extremely fast metabolism. This green appletini makes a festive drink for St. Patrick’s Day or Christmas. It’s also a great cocktail for a group of people. It can be ahead of time so you don’t have to spend time measuring ingredients and can spend more time with your guests.
My friend Anne made this cocktail for a dinner party and I really enjoyed it. It’s a little on the sweet side, but only has 160 calories per cocktail compared to a medium shake at 660 calories. It’s also not something you want to drink six glasses of. She added a few little spring gummy candies to the bottom of each glass or you could also top each drink with a slice of apple.
The recipe came from an old Cooking Light Magazine. I served the green appletini without shaking it in a martini shaker and couldn’t tell a difference. The martini shaker mainly just helps chill the drink. I hope you enjoy this cocktail and may the luck of the Irish be with you.
|Green Appletini|| |
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup vodka
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup apple liqueur (such as Sour Apple Pucker)
- Crushed ice
- Combine water and sugar in a glass measuring cup.
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring once. Cool.
- Combine sugar mixture, vodka, juice and liqueur in a pitcher. Stir to combine.
- Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Place crushed ice in a martini shaker.
- Add vodka mixture to martini shaker in batches; shake well to chill. Strain about ½ cup vodka mixture in shaker into each of 10 glasses. Repeat procedure with remaining vodka mixture, refilling ice as necessary.
- Yield: 10 martinis (serving size about ½ cup)
I’m sharing this post at Celebrate Your Story Link Party.