We went from having a chill in the air to below 30 degree temperatures this week so I thought I’d share a soup recipe. My friend Cindy shared this soup with me awhile back and I’ve kept it in my files for days like today.
I love potato soup and this one is very different from the recipe I normally make. I like the addition of cream cheese, mushrooms and sausage with the potatoes. One nice thing about soups is they are usually easy to customize to your own liking. This hearty potato sausage soup makes a satisfying meal and can be easily adapted according to your tastes.
There’s nothing better than a hot bowl of soup to help warm the body on cold days except for maybe a hot chocolate with a little Rum Chata in it. I had one at the Royals game last month and it was quite warming and tasty.
|Hearty Potato Sausage Soup|| |
- 6-7 medium/large baked potatoes, diced with or without the skin
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 stick of cream cheese (I use the reduced fat)
- ½ gallon of 2% or whole milk
- 1 qt of fat-free half and half
- 1 medium/large yellow or white onion, diced
- 6-7 large, fresh mushrooms, sliced (if desired)
- 1 C. celery, diced (if desired)
- ¼ C. Velveeta Cheese (if desired)
- 1 lb. of Jimmy Dean maple flavored sausage, browned and drained
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic to taste
- Using the stick of butter, saute onions and celery until desired texture, then add mushrooms to saute.
- Reduce heat and add in cream cheese until melted and creamy.
- Increase heat to low/medium and add milk.
- Stir in baked/diced potatoes and browned/drained sausage.
- Allow mixture to become warm, then add Velveeta cheese.
- Stir Frequently to avoid burning and allow the cheese to melt completely. Simmer on low.
- A rue can be added once the soup has reached a medium/high temperature and whisked into the soup to thicken to taste.
- Serve hot and top with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and chives.
Looking for more soup inspiration? Check out these past soup recipes: Hearty Wild Rice Soup, Shrimp and Sausage Cioppino, Broccoli Cheese Soup, Nordstrom Cafe’s Tomato Soup, Tortellini Soup
Linking to: Foodie Fridays